Welcome to my top 50 movie characters of all-time. As films are released and as I watch more and more, some new characters may be added to the list, to stay tuned. Feel free to add comments.
41. Jason Bourne played by Matt Damon in The Bourne Identity (2002), The Bourne Supremacy (2004) and The Bourne Ultimatum (2007)
42. Police Sergeant Marge Gunderson played by Frances McDormand in Fargo (1996)
43. Leatherface played by Gunnar Hanson in The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974),by Bill Johnson in The Texas Chain Massacre 2 (1986),by R.A. Mihailoff in Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III (1990), by Robert Jacks in The Return of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1994), by Andrew Bryniarski in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006)
44. R. P. MacMurphy played by Jack Nicholson in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975)
45. Professor Severus Snape played by Alan Rickman in Harry Potter and Philosopher’s Stone (2001), Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002), Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004), Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005), Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007), Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009), Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I (2010) and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II (2011)
46. Neo played by Keanu Reeves in The Matrix (1999), The Matrix Reloaded (2003) and The Matrix Revolutions (2003)
47. ‘Mad’ Max Rockatansky played by Mel Gibson in Mad Max (1979), Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981) and Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (1985)
48. Freddy Kruger – played by Robert Englund in A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy’s Revenge (1985), A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987), A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988), A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989), Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991), New Nightmare (1994), Freddy vs. Jason (2003) and by Jackie Earle Haley in A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
49. Cameron – played by Alan Ruck in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986)
50. Robert Angier – played by Hugh Jackmanin The Prestige (2006)
A Foreword About the List
I thought I’d say a few things in regards to my Top 50 Best Movie Characters list, which will be gradually unveiled over the coming months. The start date is July 25th, 2012 (25/07/2012).
First and foremost, this list is a personal opinion and hence will be affected by my own bias. There are plenty of iconic characters on this list, but there are also some unexpected ones. Since we are all brought up differently, with various opinions, outlooks on life, beliefs, values and views about the world, some characters from films may resonate more with some than others. So on top of looking at the character’s purpose, position, role, interpretation etc. in the film, there is also a personal connection people make with characters on screen.
With this in mind, the second point is that I encourage people to comment, disagree or post other characters they think should be on the list – that is part of the whole point! Engaging in critical discussion of a highly commercial product indicates the artistic merit motion pictures carry and allows people to voice their opinions, hear others and perhaps learn about themselves and how they interact with the world.
Also, some administration/disclaimers need to be established.
– The respective character position on the list does not denote the quality or position of the film or films in which they have appeared. Meaning, if a character is number 10 on the list, it does not mean the film they have appeared in is the ‘10th Best Film’.
– For the purposes of this list, any character that has been previously established or viewed on television will be discounted. If they have appeared on television after first appearing on film, this is acceptable.
– In context of my first point, this is NOT a ‘most memorable’ or ‘most iconic’ character list. This is a list of my own personal feelings toward film characters. There are countless websites and magazines, which produce lists of ‘most memorable’ or ‘most iconic’ characters.
– Before reading each article, I warn that it may contain SPOILERS. Each post will begin with a brief, general discussion on the character, and the following paragraphs will go more in depth and may reveal spoilers about the film. I will try my best to avoid them.
– Finally, when commenting or discussing a particular character, please do so in an appropriate manner, with respect to other people’s opinions and views. Remember, everyone is produced differently throughout their lives – we are not born with opinions, beliefs, values, knowledge, prejudices and so on, we have to learn them and be moulded by culture and society. I have the power to edit or delete comments so please do not force me to take action. Common sense and respect please J
Thanks for reading and I hope you find the list interesting and stimulating!
THIS SECTION IS CURRENTLY BEING UPDATED – STAY TUNED!!